Friday, December 6, 2013

An MTC Thanksgiving

Dec 3, 2013
How was Thanksgiving? I hope it was awesome, mine was! We got to hear from Elder Russell M Nelson! We spent the whole day on main campus, took a zone temple walk, and did service. Can I just say I LOVE service! It's so easy to come closer to Christ when you are exemplifying Him. We put together lentil casserole packets for families in Utah. Our goal as an MTC was to make 350,000 and we made...350,208!!! So cool! We did it in the main campus cafeteria, and after it was over, there where lentils ALL OVER the carpeted floor. We were scheduled to watch Ephraim's Rescue afterwards, but Elder Hesterman and I decided to stay and help clean up, with 13 other Elders. On Sunday, President Hacking thanked us over the pulpit at the Sunday devotional and promised a copy of the picture we took when we finished. That was seriously the highlight of my week! Service really is so much fun when you realize what it really means. Mosiah 2:17. It is why I am here! 

I really thought thanksgiving would be hard to be without you guys, but if I'm honest it really wasn't that hard! I am so glad i am here! Sometimes, I worry about you, but I the savior's teaching have really helped me to press forward. I know that the Lord will bless and take care of you while I focus on the work. It has put a completely different meaning to "Consider the Lilies". Also, I was studying in Matthew and i found the JST Matthew 6:25-27. It was EXACTLY what I needed to hear! Darn it you guys I just love this gospel!

So we were talking about the Christ-like attributes found in Predicad Mi Evangelio and about patience. I was sharing my story about how long i had to wait between my ankle and other stuff-well I was TRYING to share it in Spanish-when I felt the spirit teach me why I had that experience! I never really understood why the Lord had me wait for so long. I believe it is because as a missionary, you NEED patience! There is literally nothing you do that doesn't demand a LOT of patience. Can you imagine 18-year old Elder Smalley being a missionary? HA! The Lord was giving me chance to develop a Christ-like attribute before I came out here. What an amazing tender mercy! It really strengthened my testimony that the Lord truly does prepare people for what He knows they need. Amazing.

I would like to say that hymns are so beautiful in espanol! I love singing them. They can't always match up the translations perfectly, but I like that. It helps me gain new perspectives on hymns i have sang my whole life! For example in Yo sé que vivé mi señor (I know that my redeemer lives) there is a line that says ´y siempre su amor tendré' what a beautiful truth!

A Hermana in our zone is from Samoa, and her mom sent us lava-lavas. They are sweet! Last night I had a really cool experience, the Zone leaders asked me to give a blessing to one of the Hermanas. Just the night before, I watched a devotional where Elder Bednar talked about recognizing the spirit. His advice was "Quit worrying about it. Just be a good boy, and it will come to you". I wish I could tell you all that he said but basically my eyes were opened to how much the spirit does influence this work! Well another Hermana knocked on our door at 10:10 last night and asked for a blessing. So Elder Hesterman and I changed out of our lava-lavas (haha) really quick and met them at the Wyview Chapel. Way cool! It is just so amazing to me that the Lord trust me with that kinda stuff.
 
Well it's a beautiful snowy day here on west campus! We made snow angles-
Con mucho amor, 
Elder Smalley



No comments:

Post a Comment