Monday, December 30, 2013

Duck dynasty - Tijuana style

Hola mi famila amada!

Well I don't remember what day it was but we were visiting a less active family that had been really offended at the events of the ward party I told you about. I sat there for over an hour, listening to them complain. My heart ached. I didn't know what to do. I hated to think that this would keep them from coming back to church and returning to live with Heavenly Father. The only thing I could do was wait. After they had finished, my comanio said a few words and then I started to bear my testimony. I don't remember exactly what I said but I told them that Heavenly Father loved them, and wanted them to return to him. I told them there wasn't anything that the Savior hadn't already overcome. I ended with "'por favor, regresen'' which is the command form of ''come back''. Well what I witnessed next was a complete miracle. 

"the gospel must be preached
unto every creature" D&C 58:64
All the sudden they became...nice! Not that they were mean before (NOBODY is mean to missionaries here ... except for this crazy duck!) but it was a complete turn around. They said that they would come back to church, and let us teach their 9 year old son! I don't know if I explained this well enough, but THAT was a miracle. I don't feel like I have a lot to offer, almost nothing. All I have is my testimony. I KNOW this doctrine is true. I know that there is power in the Holy Ghost. I am so grateful to realize these things!

I've been getting a lot of comfort from the scriptures. It's funny, study is supposed to be to learn how to help others, but its sure been helping me. Before I talked to you on Christmas day, I felt a lot like Nephi in 1 Nephi 15:5. The difference is Nephi got over it before verse 6! Amazing. The next day I found  1John 4:18 I think it is. I found it on "accident"', I was looking for another scripture but I had highlighted this one a few years back. It really hit me hard. Love is the answer, as cliche as that sounds - it is true. The next day, I found 1 Nephi 19:9. That one hit me even harder. The Savior sufered everything out of love. I'm not "suffering" out here, but it is hard. So it became obvious what to do. I need to focus on loving the people. Duh Elder Smalley ;)

Anyway, about the duck. It was seriously about to attack me. Too funny. Thanks so much for everything.
Con amor,
Elder Smalley

No comments:

Post a Comment