Tuesday, August 25, 2015

The future is still looking pretty bright

August 24, 2015
Hello there Familia!


Wow, literally everything has changed in just one week! But it has all been a joy. On Tuesday, they announced a mission fast this week for all the baptismal dates of August, because if all those who have set dates are baptized, we as a mission will break the record. So we have all been really excited about it. 

Everything was going really well until Thursday. Esteban passed the interview and we were filling out his baptismal record and then ... he refused to sign it! What? It was the strangest thing. We tried to explain the purpose to it, but he wouldn't even listen, and refused to sign it. I was extremely confused. Well the zone leaders said that they wanted to come and talk to him the next day.

We prayed all morning that it would go well. I was reminded of Hermana Smalley's super awesome baptism story and I knew that we would be able to know what to do and say and then .... it went awful. It could not have gone any worse. We tied to peacefully explain the purpose of the church having records and he wouldn't have it. He started yelling promising that he would never sign the paper and just saying the craziest stuff ever. okay. so that was that. I was super confused. Why did that just happen? I didn't even know what to think. 

I felt the strongest impression that I shouldn't let it get me down and that I should just keep working, which we did. Then next morning, I read Alma 8. Can I just say that Alma 8 is like seriously the best chapter ever? Alma is, has been, and will always be my hero, but when I read verse 10, I remembered that Alma did everything he could to help the people, but ultimately, it was up to them. That doesn't mean that he was a failure. In that moment I realized that it wasn't anything that I had done, or that God wasn't punishing me. I honestly still don't know what to think of it all, but I hope and pray that I can be like Alma, and respond immediately when the Lord calls me back to work. 

Okay, now that i have that one out of the way, Kimberly isn't getting baptized this month either. Her dad said it was too soon, so we are still waiting to see with that one. Even with all this, I still just feel so happy. Working hard is so hard, but it is so fulfilling, and it just makes me so happy. I have no idea how, but 9 investigators came to church yesterday, including Delia and her daughters so the future is still looking pretty bright.


Oh! I got my new temple recommend this week! Yep, pretty exciting! Well I just feel so blessed. Every day I feel a deeper understanding of God's love for his children. I know that this work is not easy, but it brings so much joy! Yesterday I had a major breakdown when I was talking to the zone leaders on the phone. I realized how much time I have left. Oh how I wish I had more time but I guess I'll have to make the most of it because they won't let me extend.

LOVE YOU ALL! 

Elder Smalley
PS. last night a family brought us a cake! members are awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment