Tuesday, April 29, 2014

CASABLANCA, "the beginning of [another] beautiful friendship”

Hello family!


Chapel for the Casablanca Ward.
Cerro Colorado in the background.
Today I am writing from a new area! That's right. I got transferred. I'm still in TJ, but my area in called - get this CASABLANCA. I keep thinking of all those cheesy one-liners from the black and white movie! hahaha. 

Well, It's been hard. real hard. I did NOT want to leave Reforma. I called the zone leaders just to make sure that it was right. I LOVE the Barrio Reforma so darn much, but I know from basically a whole life of experiences that change is a good, even an essential thing.

Chapel where the Reforma Ward (Barrio) meets,
which Joel had been serving since his arrival
On Friday we helped with la conferencia de la Primaria. The whole primary (all of the congregation's children) helped us make visits, offer service, and even teach investigators. It was SO fun! Probably the most fun I've had on my mission! Everywhere we went, we sang Soy un Hijo de Dios. Kids are just too darn adorable!

On Saturday we had another baptism. That was fantastic! She is definitely what i we call here in the mission una escogida. We use that to describe a person who the Lord has truly prepared to hear the news of the Restoration. She learned to recognize the spirit so quickly, she showed such an enthusiasm for learning and growing. It was such a blessing to teach her. Sometimes, I felt like I wasn't even doing that much because she progressed so beautifully!  Her daughter was so close to being baptized with her, but she just wasn't quite ready to make the decision. That's why it was so hard to leave! I feel like I have unfinished business in Reforma, but oh well.

Sunday was a hard day. I just love those people so much! Sacrament meeting was very...como les diré..fulfilling. We had a confirmation, another recent convert passed the sacrament for the first time, and the attendance has officially doubled since I arrived. I was sitting there thinking hard about it. Then I came to the realization that the Lord has done so much for this ward. And that's the thing - He did it. I really didn't do anything. 

When I first arrived in Reforma, I was overwhelmed because I had no idea how I was ever going to be able to help them. I realized that the Lord had never expected me to fix everything by myself. But I'm glad that Elder Torres and I were able to see the blessings of hard work and obedience. Basically, I LOVE this! Everything is so worth it! 

Sorry for the short letter, and the absence of pictures. I forgot my camera.
I LOVE you guys and I wish the best of luck to Erinn at Nationals and Spencer's driving!
Elder Smalley

No comments:

Post a Comment