Monday, January 27, 2014

Of Baptisms and Bashing

¡Hola familia amada!

How is the united states? I'm doing alright, but oh my goodness this has been a long week! It started off really well. A lot of our investigators are progressing and keeping commitments! I was so excited! I didn't realize how many investigators we actually had until we held our weekly planning session on Thursday. Lots, and it has kept us really busy! 

If everything goes well, we will have a baptism this Sunday. If she can keep the word of wisdom it will happen! Also we have another baptismal date that hasn't fallen yet, but she needs to get married first. She has been in un unión libre por 14 años and has two kids, and her husband doesn't want to get married, and is very catholic. She has a very strong testimony of the Book of Mormon and wants to get baptized. Well we had a great lesson with her about faith. How the Lord will always provide a way. Well she took that promise very well, and completely changed from discouragement to excitement. I have never prayed for something harder in my life. Still waiting to hear from her.

The flu is going around really bad here, so the President made us all get flu shots. That was really funny. All the american missionaries had no problem with it, but a few Elders and Sisters really didn't want to get vaccinated. Hahaha one Elder kept running away from the needle haha!

Well I had two kinda bummer experiences as well. First, we received a referral from the district of someone who spoke English. All we got was a name and number. I called the number and spoke to the guy. He said that we could come in 30 minutes. We had an appointment that had just fallen through, and I was really excited to teach someone in English, so I said that would work. He gave us directions. When we got there, it was a church. There were two men waiting for us. For the next hour, they began attacking Mormon doctrine and trying to use the bible to discredit us. It was completely a rehearsed  monologue. They did not allow us a second to get a word in. After a while, we just left. That really hurt me, that people could be so contentious over something so sacred as the bible. 

Also, I REALLY tried to get our investigators to church this week - like REALLY. I thought there was no way the same result would happen. Only two came. That kinda sent me into an emotional breakdown. Why is this just so darn hard? Haha well I've pretty much gotten over it by now. The scriptures really are great at comforting me!

Well I need to apologize because I didn't take a pictures this week and I know that nobody likes an email without pictures. I promise to do better this week.
Con mucho amor,
Elder Smalley!

No comments:

Post a Comment